Tuesday, September 1, 2009

New Book, New Recipe


Yay! The book arrived yesterday (thank you amazon for the speedy delivery) and I made my first recipe this morning.
Avocado Soup with Orange and Mango Salsa


Avocado, cucumber, celery, salt, cumin, coriander, orange zest, lemon juice and shallots is in the soup. I didn't use shallots because raw onion doesn't sit well with me. The soup was refreshing, but it is missing something (probably those shallots). The salsa however was deliciously, addictive! It consisted of mango, red pepper, orange juice, salt and cilantro. I didn't have cilantro, so I skipped it.

Its nice to take a bite of the sweet mango and crunchy pepper in the soup. I will probably make this again, but modify it slightly.

The photography in the book is stunning and there is such a variety of recipes! The book also has a wealth of information on tools, techniques, ingredients (very useful and helpful info), and her story. The recipe sections are divided by Quick and Easy, and Off the Menu. Within the Quick and Easy part is Milks, Shakes and Juices, Family Meals, and Simple Sweets. Off the Menu has First Course, Second Course, Desserts, Cookies and Bars, and Cocktails.

I can't wait to dig in! The key lime pie shake, BBQ skewers, Thanksgiving dinner, apple crisp, milk-chocolate mousse layer cake, caramel bars are all calling my name!

No comments:

Post a Comment